Our Mission and impact
Baltimore Concert Opera welcomes opera enthusiasts and future opera fans to experience timeless music and stories which bring us all together. Our concert format -- just singers, piano, and English translation supertitles -- makes the complex operatic art form immediately more accessible for our patrons. BCO celebrates the thrilling connection between the audience and the stage by offering performances by top-flight professional opera singers in an intimate, up-close environment. Inspired by the beauty of the historic Engineers Club and legendary music, our patrons leave entertained, moved, and enriched.
Since 2009, we have grown from an all-volunteer company with just $750 in the bank, to a sustainable, vibrant non-profit organization with an annual operating budget of $250,000. In each season, Baltimore Concert Opera continues to further the art form in Baltimore and beyond. We offer classic repertory and rarely heard operatic gems. We form artistic collaborations with other opera companies, making BCO’s performances more musically invested and expansive. Perhaps most vitally, we will continue to cultivate the next generation of opera-goers through our new audience-building initiatives.
With your help we will continue inspiring Baltimore through opera for years to come. Thank you!
What We've Achieved
- We have presented over 30 full operatic productions in concert.
- We attracted 480 new ticket buyers in the 2015-2016 season alone.
- We have grown from a seed investment of $750 to a budget of $250,000 since our inaugural season in 2009.
- We give great attention to our yearly budgets, building an impressive accumulated surplus over each season.
- Subscriptions account for 42% of our ticket sales